VIP 1216 Question

Started by Ryanide, 21. Apr 2010, 02:57

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Ryanide

Hello!  After tapping into my Google-fu, I finally found a forum that is related to modifying my set-top box!  I know it's taboo to ask a question with your first post, but it's my main goal right now.  Let me describe my situation.

I have a VIP 1216 with U-Ver$e, and I recently installed four CCTV cameras and a DVR for basic home security on my house.  A friend of a friend told me that he knew someone who had modified his box so that going to a certain channel on the set-top box would show his cameras, live.  That is what I am looking to do.  I am fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, so I'm not afraid to have fun with this.  Though I don't want to do any permanent damage, just in case I'd get in trouble with my cable provider.

So my question is this: Is it possible to do what I have described above?  I have searched high and low on the internet and you seem to be the only community that involves any sort of "modding" to my set-top box.

Thanks,

Ryan

mce2222

Hi... welcome to the forum. I think you are the first (??) U-verse user.

I moved the topic to the english section ;)

VIP 1216 boxes are more common in the UK than Germany...

about your question:
you need to understand that all Mediaroom Boxes have tight security in place that prevents any kind of change on the firmware.
we have developed a hack to disable this security by using a microcontroller to patch the memory during boot.
so if you need to build this modchip circuit if want to do anything that is not intended by MS.

about your story of switching to a certain channel to see the camera output... well, that is highly unlikely for several reasons.
however depending on the possibilities of those cameras it might be possible to create some additional GUI parts that would spawn a video stream player to show the camera output, but that would require the camera output to be accessable via network and in a format that could be rendered by the Mediaroom boxes.

Go Up