HOW TO

Started by is0-mick, 29. Aug 2008, 17:27

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Plasma

Hi,
Im thinking about embarking on this project and was wondering whether this modification has left the box with all the functions;

tv, recording and epg ?

Nope you will currently end up with a simple freeview receiver with HDMI out and EPG. The pause / rewind and PVR facilities will not work. I guess the next question you will as is why bother? The majority of us doing this do not have an account / broadband with the right company to get it working at all without modification.

The modifications on the WinCE TV2Client seem very secretive but I guess that's because its copyrighted work. I'm hoping the Linux guys will be able to offer the full freeview and PVR functionality, and will hopefully eb able to properly document and explain it, but I'm not sure where they are with it all.

Plasma

is0-mick

Hi,
Im thinking about embarking on this project and was wondering whether this modification has left the box with all the functions;

tv, recording and epg ?

Maybe you are a C# coder, or linux guru?

Which would be great :) anyways more the merrier so they say...

gingercat

28. Nov 2009, 16:43 Last Edit: 01. Dec 2009, 09:26 by gingercat
Many thanks for this excellent guide, hopefully I'll get my box happily modded then I can start playing with some code. I'm a C# developer by trade (distributed control system and data acquisition software) so will hopefully be able to contribute something back once I'm up to speed.

DJHope

Hi Guys i am finally out of my BT Contract so i currently have a paper weight or door stop! I am looking to do something useful with the box but i am a little unsure what the best way to go is.

Part of the problem is it looks like the Linux guys have gone a fair way and it says on the Front page Audio and Video support is there now BUT i cant see a good "How To" about to even know where to begin to get started.

My Vision Box is fairly old so i don't think i will have a problem setting up the mod chip although the firmware has been updated so if i go the WinCE route i think the exe patch could be a problem and the PDF is quite out of date.

What do you guys think?

DJHope

skychan

Hi everyone,

Brand new to this forum (and also to the UK ;) ), I switched from a BT home to a BT business contract and find myself with the brand new box that won't boot (the new model released in dec 09)...

Is the PDF also applicable to this new box ? Or is there any other way for me to make it work as a "simple" freeview player with EPG and HDD capabilities ?

From what I understood from the previous posts (hard to read sometimes when english is not your mothertongue :p ), there are still severe limitations, but I didn't find any info regarding the new version of the box (or missed them)...

Many thanks for your help,

Skychan

Plasma

Hi there and welcome to the forum. If you can help us by posting the Model number of your box and any extra info about it you can I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. Is it one of the new Black boxes? I have a friend who is trialling one of those and i'm trying to talk him in to letting me take it apart for scientific / research purposes! ;)

Plasma

GruntZ

Hi guys, sorry to have to be the latest noob on here but  :-[ does this mod allow me to still access previously recorded programmes.
Desperate to get switch from BT but have over 100 hours to still catchup on !!
Cheers all

is0-mick

Hi guys, sorry to have to be the latest noob on here but  :-[ does this mod allow me to still access previously recorded programmes.
Desperate to get switch from BT but have over 100 hours to still catchup on !!
Cheers all

Unfortunately not, if the stored contect is drm'd it should be encrypted (ppv stuff) i think FTA stuff is stored unencrypted but in its own "filesystem" that is stored within fat32 files. (2gb chunks on the hard drive if I remember).

It should be possible to reverse engineer the filesystem, and extract the FTA recordings, probably in TS format, although no one has done this to data as far as I am aware.

Mick

Sherm

I have a old grey vision box, the only code which could be model is DIT7421/05. What steps would i have to perform just to use it as a freeview box. More and likley has the latest update as it was last used last mth. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is0-mick

Not sure if that box has the Jtag port, if so, you'll need a modchip, and an older version of the software...

See if you can get your modchip sorted first tho :)

Mick

d3xt0r

14. Aug 2010, 00:11 Last Edit: 14. Aug 2010, 00:43 by d3xt0r
Hi, im new to the forum and have been reading all the posts on BT Vision Boxes

This is the box i have, so i am guessing it is the right 1;

Boot ROM: 1.1527
Client: 1.6.25077.830(release)
Version: DIT 9719/05

I have never made a mod chip before but i want to start out now. i have some serial cables and a Serial to LPT1 adapter aswell as lots of old usb cables and a few old serial cables.

My problem is i cant find a definitive answer as to the exact component names and sizes to make the chip.

So i need; and i want to go all out and add the serial and led's

1 x jtag (male or female?)
1 x Vero board (any size?)
3 x LED's (Red, Green and Amber)
1 x ATMEGA8-16PU (DIL 28? DIL 40?)
what else? or does someone have a site were i can get everything in 1 place?

Cheers
d3xt0r

is0-mick

The easiest way, is just to prorgam the chip.

Solder wires direct to the legs, then solder them to the jtag pads.

Then glue the chip upside down next to the card reader.

LED's etc are optional, just so you know whats going on.

The wiring diagram is on the board somewhere....

Mick

d3xt0r

How do i program the chip and what do i program it with? i'm happy to just clue it legs up.

Another problem i came across is that i have NK.BIN and ETC.BIN and neither contain BooterCE.exe and i have read somewere about the etc.bin and how to mod it but cant find it now

cheers
d3xt0r

is0-mick

How do i program the chip and what do i program it with? i'm happy to just clue it legs up.

cheers
d3xt0r

Did you actually read the "how to" pdf thats attached in the 1st post of this thread? All of the info, including where to download the programmer, schematic and pinout are there....

Mick

d3xt0r

Did you actually read the "how to" pdf thats attached in the 1st post of this thread? All of the info, including where to download the programmer, schematic and pinout are there....

Mick

Sorry i got a little confused(i had already read the full pdf). what i meant to ask was once i have programmed the chip can i just put wires from the chip to the jtag without making a circuit board with components etc?

Go Up