X301t From Germany to Finland

Started by discourse, 23. May 2009, 20:20

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

discourse

Hi all, great forum!
I recently moved back to Finland from Germany and my X301t T-Home box came along for the ride. I'm planning to get a fibre cable internet connection to my house soon and was wondering if there was a way to hack my box for use over here. Is there any alternative software like Linux Media Center software I could load onto it? Would I need to mod the hardware in order to get extra functionality? I understand the device runs WinCE (like the dreamcast :)). I am not a programmer but I've used Linux and OSX for the last 10 years so I can execute code if needed.

Herman

need modchip to start with as that allows unsigned code and generally playing, no solution yet but watch this space...........

discourse

My future ISP sells the Humax HDPVR. I'm not willing to part with any money for another set-top box. Would any currently implementable mods enable me to access their local servers. I just don't want to be wasting my time hacking the hardware for no reason.

Hoernchen

Short answer : no.
Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ahem. While running linux is possible, the current lack of an user interface or remote support means it's useless if you intend to actually use it.
bringer of linux, conqueror of hdmi, jack of all trades.

discourse

Thank you for the swift answer. Bummer though :-\ What are the most useful implementations so far?

I suppose I will remove the 160gig hard drive and put the box on ice until someone develops something useful to me.

Hoernchen

There are no useful implementations so far - this forum's "I'll just wait till someone else creates something useful" to developer ratio is about 145:1, and the few developers are doing completely different things, from modifying wince 5.0 and creating a custom wince 6.0 nk.bin from scratch to working on linux and exploring the possibilty of getting the tuners to work. This might never lead to anything useful :P

xmob

This might never lead to anything useful

C'mon!  You know we're all determined enough to make something useful.   ;)

Hoernchen

Well, at least I am far more interested in lowlevel hardware stuff than in creating a fancy GUI ;)

is0-mick

This might never lead to anything useful

C'mon!  You know we're all determined enough to make something useful.   ;)

hell yeah.. something useful definately :) maybe a router or a new tom tom for my car.. hmmm gps on internal com anyone? haha

Im sure we'll get something more than useful.. theres a few different avenues people are going down so im sure at least one of them will pay off!

Mick

Go Up